Friday, December 23, 2016

Life's ups and downs (Updated)

It hasn't been the happiest few weeks. We watched our beloved beagle Lexie slowly deteriorate with a suspected brain tumour and eventually had to let her go. RIP in the garden.

So last night provided some much-needed fun and excitement when the first horse I have ever had a share in, Everything, lined up at Alexandra Park. Having its first start (third in its career) since I have been involved in the syndicate, see what happens:


Update: Today (28th) Everything had his first start on a grass track. Out from the widest front-line draw and then broke a boring pole and had it flapping down in front of his knees for most of the journey. But he was unperturbed and again, won effortlessly. Unfortunately the bookies had him pegged this time and he went out hot favourite. Too short for me and I only took him in a quaddie and trifectas. I thought after the race, damn, I didn't make any money outright. Then I remembered -  I now get a share of the stake winnings!

9 comments:

Mark Hubbard said...

Hah, well done Everything (have to confess I had to fast forward to last 400 metres as it was a bit like watching paint drying :) )

All the best re wee Lexie. Know the pain of losing dogs, well (we partly stopped with the Great Danes because they have such short lives - 9 years about it).

Typing this looking at your lovely portraits on the wall, Lindsay, one of best decisions we made this year. Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Anonymous said...

Love it Lindsay. I hope you put some money on the win with those odds!

Merry Christmas from a regular reader, sometimes commentator.

Brian.

Anonymous said...

What a race. Sorry for your loss but congratulations on your win. What a finish!

pdm said...

Impressive - wish I hadknown about it before yesterday at that price. May it keep racing like that for you.

Merry Christmas and all of the best for 2017 for you and yours.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

I wish I'd got it at that price too! I cleared out my account with a $5 each way bet earlier on with the bookies at $18. Never mind. The thrill wasn't monetary.

So you all know, he races again at a Waikato meeting afternoon of December 28. That's what a txt from HRNZ told me anyway.

Gecko said...

So sorry to hear for your loss Lindsay, and congratulations on your win. Confession time, I cheated and read the comments rather than watch the video.
Merry Christmas to you all and a prosperous 2017.

Mark Wahlberg said...

Commiserations and congratulations. In a time of sadness, good memories lift the spirit and the universe delivers rewards to those deserving.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear of your loss Lindsay.

What a finish to that race! Best one I've seen for ages - I reckon you'll have a HEAP of fun with that horse!
Very best wishes for the New Year!

pdm said...

Impressive again Lindsay - although I must say I thought Nicky Chilcott was a bit cocky the way she drove him - he did it tough especially given the broken boring pole. It looks like he will go through the grades fairly quickly.