The satellite sites are located at the following locationsSocial security is a huge industry in this country with MSD having 300 centres of employment. So 90 percent remain open and can never be fully secure.
- Northland - The Pulse
- Auckland - Great Barrier Island and Wellsford
- Waikato – Coromandel, Raglan, Te Kauwhata, Whangamata, Whitianga
- Bay of Plenty - Katikati, Putaruru
- East Coast - Te Araroa
- Taranaki - Ohakune
- Central - Featherston
- Canterbury - Akaroa, Cheviot, Oxford
- Southern – Fairlie, Geraldine, Lumsden, Nightcaps, Ohai, Otautau, Riverton, Te Anau, Tuatapere, Twizel, Waimate, Waimate (St. Johns), Winton.
An opinion writer at Stuff says:
The Ashburton killings weren't part of a rash. They horrified the country because they were extraordinary. Winz should react by securing its offices, not overreact by shutting them.
My worry is making it harder for people to access help, especially when they are desperate, could escalate the situation.
But WINZ visits are often also about getting work. That's on hold too.
On the other hand the safety of WINZ staff must be the first priority.
Of course the whole dilemma is magnified by having far too many working-age people dependent on benefits.