Thursday, June 05, 2014

The convenience of cannabis contradiction

While leader of the Mana Party is steadfastly opposed to tobacco and cannabis...

RACHEL Decriminalise marijuana you would oppose that.

HONE: That’s a personal position I've taken, it's not a position that Mana's taken, but it's a personal position I've taken. And I take it because I'm not one of those like liberals for whom that sort of thing is cool. I see how marijuana leads to dead eyes in some of the kids that we have to teach. I see how it leads to dead eyes in the families that I've gotta go and talk to because my wife who's a Principal makes me go and see some of these families. I see the problems, and so when people talk about decriminalisation at that level, I think to myself it's not actually one of the major priorities in my life.

...leader of the Internet Party, Laila Harre has announced that her preference is for decriminalisation.

That works well for them. They can individually promise to keep voters with a strong preference either way satisfied.  At least on intent. They can have their on-line policy debate and both sides win!

Upshot? No loss of votes for the Internet/Mana alliance. Quite probably some gain from previous NZALCP and Green voters.

Ah, the vagaries of political pragmatism.

3 comments:

Livestock Unit 007 said...

Hone's all good with his views, in an ideal world we would all be bright eyed and bushy tailed.
One issue I would like considered is that those dead eyes [how emotive] are more a product of very heavy use, or even presently intoxicated.
I have friends who smoke lots and lots, and some every day after work, and yet I cant honestly say their eyes are dead at all. They dont overdo it, and have good jobs that invigorates their minds.
The dead eyes are from lassitude and having to listen to radio northland for years

Marc said...

If cannabis is legalised, it will have the worst consequences for all our progress NZ has made in improving polynesian achievement. It will be like letting off a hydrogen bomb within our most vulnerable communities, and sadly, they will be the greatest victims. Sadly by the time the mistake has been realised, I will be too old to enjoy having the opportunity to say "I told you so".

Richard said...

> If cannabis is legalised, it will have the worst consequences for all our progress NZ has made in improving polynesian achievement.

Au contraire. Cannabis legalisation has been an absolute boon for Colorado's small Polynesian community.