Sunday, June 24, 2012

The tale of two ex MPs

What a contrast ex MPs Rodney Hide and Georgina Bayer make.

 Rodney:
I thought i'd be unemployed about now. Happily it's not turned out that way. I have spent the week up to my eyeballs in mud, knocking over a concrete wall. Who'd have guessed?.....When I was a politician I was supposed to pretend sympathy for people without a job. The truth is I never had much. I always figured there's work to be done for anyone prepared to get stuck in. I now know that's true. I got a job pushing a wheelbarrow and swinging a hammer. Why can't the so-called unemployed? We all know why. They're too picky. The jobs don't suit. It's a bit cold. It's a bit wet. It's a bit hard.
Georgina:
Former Labour MP Georgina Beyer says she is broke and living off the unemployment benefit in a one-bedroom granny flat.... Ms Beyer admits she has been told to "lower her sights", but says some jobs are off the agenda. "I do draw the line at being a crew member at McDonald's. I'm a little bit past that sort of thing."
Remind me which one belonged to Labour - the party for the workers?

8 comments:

Mark Hubbard said...

Yes, a great piece by Rodney in the Herald.

Viking said...

Of course its never been a "party OF workers"

polybius said...

Like most ideologues, you lack imagination.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

True. Possessed of not even enough to come up with a pseudonym.

brian_smaller said...

@polybius - So, what is your point? Shouldn't Georgina Beyer get off her high horse and take any job that comes along? Or is her once lofty position as a Labour Party drone enough to exempt her from working in jobs deemed beneath her high station in life?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant tale Lindsay. As I said on Whale's post - I'm always amazed that Labour - past or present - are just so inherently stupid and how they so easily adhere to the stereotypes we assume.

I haven't always been a fan of Rodney but given his ability to eat humble pie he at least has good character.

How someone like Beyer who has seen first hand how difficult the juggling of the taxpayer's purse is can still so easily take the piss is beyond me. Honestly has she no moral compass? In my view beggars cant be choosers - if you're physically & mentally able then you should apply for any job including MCDs.

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for Georgina, what a comedown! Why don't her Labour colleagues of the past help her a bit? As for Rodney, that's all very well, but not all of us is hands-on, or good with our hands. Many people won't work at McDonalds, let alone an ex MP. She would be a laughing stock, and it must be hard, doing time in a granny flat, after walking the corridors of power.

Richard said...

LOL! :-)