Saturday, May 19, 2012

ACT's biggest backer a bigot

It sickens me reading the views of one Louis Crimp, who I have never heard of before today, although his face looks vaguely familiar. He is a bigot and apparently ACT's biggest backer.

Unfortunately, because I stood for ACT twice, I still get associated with  stuff that goes on in and around the party. And so I am compelled to publicly disassociate myself from this guy.

According to The Herald Mr Crimp said in an interview:

"All the white New Zealanders I've spoken to don't like the Maoris, the way they are full of crime and welfare."

Asked if his political views could be labelled racist, he said: "I don't give a stuff what I'm called. You have to look at the facts and figures. This is the problem with New Zealanders. Most of them dislike the Maoris intensely - I won't say hate - but they don't like to say so."
But here's the kicker:

Act's president, Chris Simmons, said he disagreed with Mr Crimp on some areas but respected his right to have a view....Mr Simmons said the party would take Mr Crimp's money again.

ACT has utterly lost its way. It was the champion of individual rights and arch critic of collectivism, and should be the party speaking out most vehemently against racism - not tolerating and tacitly condoning it through allowing a bigot to buy influence. I am appalled.

7 comments:

Manolo said...

R.I.P. ACT.

Kiwiwit said...

Those of us who advocate for individual rights and freedom must be ever vigilant against those who would use our cause as a stalking horse for antithetical beliefs.

Mind you, John Banks has already so utterly tainted ACT's brand, I suspect Mr Crimp cannot damage it much more..

macdoctor said...

This is hardly news. Louis Crimp's views on Maori have been known for decades. When I lived in Invercargill, you could always rely on Mr. Crimp to have a contrarian, obstructionist view on everything. The only surprise here is that he has always supported ACT, despite not having a liberal bone in his body...

Mark Hubbard said...

Well said, Lindsay.

I would say the remaining members of ACT need to take a refresher course in classical liberalism - hey, most of the professions have continuing education requirements, why not politicians? But, of course, it's way too late for all that.

Anonymous said...

I would say the remaining members of ACT

There are remaining member of ACT?

Who knew?

More to the point: who cares?

Colin Craig won't make such an elementary mistake.

mistralman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blair said...

People like Ansell and this fellow give me the chills. They have an unhealthy obsession with race, and they don't want equal rights because they want a level playing field, but because they hate Maori and their contribution to New Zealand society. Makes me ill.

However, I thought his observations about "white New Zealanders" were pertinent. There is a lot of racist undercurrent there. He is quite correct.