Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I was wrong about ACT


It was my prediction that the ACT party's polling would climb under Don Brashs' leadership. I was wrong. But I am so often in a such a small minority intellectually it is no wonder I cannot understand how other people think.

However, I made my prediction before knowing John Banks was going to stand in Epsom. That now makes my vote highly marginal and perhaps other past ACT voters are feeling the same. Catherine Isaac might neutralise the 'Banks effect' for me but the problem remains - that ACT has no clear political philosophy.

Apparently it is now the farmer's party. It also looks very euro centric at times. What is ACT 2? If there are members in there still holding out to give the party a clear classical liberal direction I admire their tenacity.

Perhaps past voters are just fed up with the in-party shannanegins, for want of a better word. Ongoing instability does not engender confidence. Or trust.

Perhaps polling will improve markedly on the day that counts. But because that has happened in the past is no guarantee it'll happen again. And do I even care?


(Yes I do sound like Eyeore today.)

1 comment:

Don Mac said...

Lindsay,Not sure what you mean by a 'clear classical liberal direction'. How would I explain it to my truck driver friends?
Act's economic policies would be good for exporters including farmers and in the long run good for the country.May be given time Don Brash can give voters some confidence in ACT as a stable platform to promote sound policies.