Thursday, February 03, 2011

Honest John versus perfidious Peters

Winston Peters would make me laugh if I had even a skerrick of good feeling whenever I hear him speak. But I don't. About the Prime Minister ruling him out of any National-led government he says:

"New Zealanders don't take kindly to being told what they've got to do, particularly when they're the masters come election day."

Labour leader Phil Goff also believed Mr Key was arrogant for ruling out NZ First prior to voters having their say.

"I'm going to let the voters make the decision."


What Key has given voters is clarity about what their decision means. He has afforded them more power - not less.

Key has done three honest, up front things this year; given people the option to vote for or against asset sales; given us the date of the election and ruled Peters out of any coalition arrangement. This is what people want more of from politicians.

4 comments:

David Garrett said...

Absolutely agree Lindsay...although the devils advocate in me suggest that Key might have good information - but even he doesnt have a crystal ball - which suggests he wont need the Great Charlatan in order to form another Centre Right government come November.

But however you cut it, a gutsy and principled call.

Anonymous said...

I second that - this way Peters can't be king maker. The power lies with the people.

pdm said...

Peters - Perfidious.

Definition - Devious and untrustworthy.

I love it - you nailed it there Lindsay.

Anonymous said...

one thing Peters isn't in favour of is....selling NZ to foreign interests.