Monday, January 31, 2011

The brand new Fazioli


Yesterday the Waikanae Music Society unveiled their brand new Fazioli. Sounds something like a Ferrari - in name, not engine sound. And the price ticket wasn't far removed either. It cost them $174,000. What is it? A grand piano. Brand-spanking new and just arrived from Italy.

We were there to hear Michael Houston give it its first workout - J S Bach, Schumann, some jazz sonata which was my second favourite piece and finishing with the most ethereal Liszt. No expert by any stretch of the imagination, his performance seemed flawless to me. But I didn't like his jacket or lack of encore for an audience largely on its feet. Recital etiquette is also beyond my own realm of familiarity. Robert, 16 year-old son and currently grand piano obsessionist was suitably awestruck. Unlike attending a more upmarket venue, he was able to get a close-up inspection of the Fazioli during interval. A truly remarkable piece of craftsmanship.

But where the heck do they store such a valuable and vulnerable object?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect such a piece would have its own air conditioned enviroment. Its a work of art of the highest order worthy of a place at Te Papa.
My cousin is a concert pianist and a close friend of Mr H. I met him once and found he wasnt much interested in american cars and motorbikes.God forbid i bored him!

Dirk

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Dirk, I can't imagine you boring anyone.

Ann said...

It was an amazing concert! I really enjoyed the second part of the concert. Being somewhat of an insider (my husband is their piano tuner) I can assure you the piano has a room of its own, with humidity levels under control and is under lock.