Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pregnancy prevents prison sentence

Reading about this court case I was reminded about the proposal for "large scale" state intervention regarding parenting which I commented on earlier this week. A Judge takes into account a heavily pregnant soon-to-be-mother's condition and refrains from sending her to jail. This paragon of virtue should be a prime suspect for state intervention when it comes to parenting.

Last time I was heavily pregnant the only occasion it caused comment was when I waddled into a music exam and perched myself behind the piano. I had been practising upwards of an hour a day to pass what was really a level beyond me. The examiner peered up, obviously surprised to see an adult appear after a string of school children, removed her glasses and said, "You are going to have a very musical child." And she was right.

There is no doubt that children are affected by what is happening around them even when they are still in the womb. Without some form of intervention, I don't fancy this one's chances much.

No comments: