Thursday, February 28, 2008

Market research

For the next two weeks I will be having a painting sale at 25 Rimu St, Eastbourne. I was faced with the problem of what to do while captured in a shop all day, apart from meeting and talking to people. Working with oils and turps is too smelly and potentially messy in a confined space that does not belong to me. So I decided to bone up on my pastel drawing and offer pet portraits from photos. If necessary I can photograph the pet on the spot and download it to my laptop. I've produced these examples drawn from photos. Question:

How much to do you think is a reasonable price for one of these portraits given they take from 2 - 3 hours to complete? You can see the figure I have suggested but I tend to forget about tax etc (I am not registered for gst.)

3 comments:

DigiSlidz said...

Hi Lindsay

The problem I find is peoiple do not value "handiwork". I run a photo/slide scanning and repair business and some of the restoration takes ages. Once the work is complete after painstaking effort people then quibble about the price. I think your cost for the portraits is very reasonable given the time taken and the skill involved.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Lindsay...if I sent you a few pics of my recently deceased cat Rielly could you paint me a portrait of her? The family is pretty cut up about it and this wouild help the healing process..

Tell me what its worth to you and we will see whats what...

cheers

James

peteremcc said...

I was thinking $30 before I saw your suggested price, but then I'm a poor cheap student so you probably have it about right. :)