Thursday, January 24, 2008

Depressing Christchurch

What's with Canterbury?

A quarter of the 16-24 year-olds drawing a sickness benefit for depression live in Canterbury. More than in any other region, including Auckland.

And looking at the invalid's benefit for the same incapacity, the percentage rises to 37 percent!

Canterbury is home to only 13 percent of the population and the demographic is slightly older than the NZ average as well.

(The same disproportionate dependence continues with the invalid's benefit in the older age groups though it is not quite as marked.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a coincidence that Christchurch is overwhelmingly Labour?

Anonymous said...

I'm 20 years old and suffer from depression. If it wasn't for the sickness benefit I would probably be dead now.

I just got back from a holiday in Darwin which I really enjoyed. As soon as I got back to Christchurch I felt like crap, I hate this place.