Monday, July 09, 2007

I'm not offended Jim (and other stuff)

73 year-old intelligence expert Jim Flynn says that lesser educated women out-breeding those with a tertiary education is a problem. I agree. And I'm one of the dummies. I've had two children but have no tertiary qualifications. Fortunately their father has.

Michael Laws was advocating legalisation of drugs in his SST column. Why? Because prohibition isn't working. I wonder why he thinks banning gang patches will.

At the ACT regional conference Colin James spoke to us about 'risk'. Perhaps we need to learn to live with it instead of overreacting with draconian anti-terrorist measures. Now I see what he was alluding to. Travellers will be randomly taken and searched for explosives. A bridge too far I think.

I expect the illiberal National party to start saying they told us so when they said the party pill ban was taking too long to kick in. Look what has happened. People are stockpiling. Umm. I thought a prohibition-driven price increase was supposed to put people off yet they can find money to buy lots at once.

And finally more fatties. In the NZ Herald it's fat Asians and in the SST magazine it was fat dogs. I have come to the conclusion that as nanny can't do anything about the real evils that threaten innocent people, the rapists and murderers, the child abusers and paedophiles, she is going after those she can bully successfully into mending their wicked ways. Fatties, smokers and smackers.

9 comments:

Andrei said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrei said...

Professor Jim Flynn is a left wing liberal idiot.

He confuses being educated with being intelligent.

But as any contact with academics will surely reveal this is not necessarily so.

Probably the smartest man I ever knew left school at 14 and was a boiler maker.

The advantage of having educated and/or smart parents lies in the value such people place on learning and achievement as much as genetic legacy.

In fact having 'intelligent parents' may even correlate with a higher chance of autism in their offspring.

Rick said...

I second that, Andrei!

And Lindsay is one of the smartest ladies I know.

Wish you wouldn't call yourself a dummy, even as a joke.

I feel a blog post comming on.

Rick said...

And so it was done. Silent Running blog

Anonymous said...

Never appreciated censorship and never will, but I do admit it is the right of the blog owner.

Thank you Lindsay.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Manolo, I was confused by your comment then realised you may have thought I deleted something you wrote. Your original comment is on another thread. I don't know who deleted the first post on this thread.

In part I agree with Mr Flynn. But I woke up this morning and realised I was part of the group of "dummies" which I found quite funny.

My position is simply that current govt intervention skews fertility towards the those less emotionally and financially equipped to raise children. They are probably also coincidentally the lesser educated.

Govt has no right to stop people having children but that does not confer on them an obligation to pay all and sundry to do so. I don't support WFF either. Govt should be neutral.

Anonymous said...

In relation to what Andrei said - Children mostly try to live up to your expectations of them. If you have lots of them they generally achieve or at least try. If you have no expectations of them they wont disappoint you either.

Brian Smaller

Anonymous said...

As another aside. Rick - Silent Running is blocked at my work under the category of "Malicious, Drugs/Alcohol (Global Ban)".

Brian Smaller

Anonymous said...

Lindsay, please accept my sincere apologies. It was a serious mistake on my part to have thought you might have censored my comments.