Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I was a fat kid

I saw an old schoolmate on TV. He sat next to me during Intermediate. I couldn't resist googling him and sending off an e-mail. An e-mail came back. He remembered me as a "solid, pommie, blonde tom-boy". He was being kind. I was fat. At least I was compared to all the other sylph-like skinny waifs surrounding me. By College I had a complex about it and nearly starved myself to death. I developed very unhealthy eating habits which I failed to correct until I became a parent - a catalyst for many things.

Now I have a chubby kid who is my mirror image at the same age. And with all of this hysteria over obesity I am really worried he is going to start fretting the way I did when, given his genes (David and I are both reasonably slim) he is quite likely to lean out as he gets older.

So my rage at the nagging government has a personal edge to it at the moment. Robert (my chubby kid) rages with me saying all these pathetic rules and prohibitions will fail. In fact I think he is already planning a black-market in illicit food. And when I think about it, better that than take all this repressive, rubbish on board and do what I did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lindsay....Try a little Atkins on the kids...seriously.I,ve been on it for 4 weeks now and have lost bodyfat mass to an impressive degree.Just reduce the carbs,and especially eliminate sugar, out of the meals for a month and see if there's a change...it does work.take measurements etc first and compare after.

For best results try doing the Atkins induction diet for two weeks and reduce your daily carbs to below 20 grams.Its worth a go.

Oswald Bastable said...

yep, the aitkins works!

as a tenager, I COULD eat whatever I wanted.

I also was vey active.

That held true untill my late 20's when I had spinal surgery.

I still kept up my 300km/week cycling until I blew a knee. Even then it wasn't untill after the second lot of knee sugery that I became a fat fuck!

It's been a 20 year struggle to keep my weight under control, but still I FIGHT it.

Unlike these 20 year old lard-arses who never did a bit of PT in their worthless lives!

Eat your pies while you can!

Anonymous said...

i recently lost 13kg down from 112kg.

pretty much atkins with loads and loads and loads of water plus some gentle excercise and about 3 weeks into it a herbal cleanse to flush out the 37 years of crap in my system.

gradually letting a few things creep back in but still no bread, pastas or rice except brown. no sugar in coffee and 1 coffee a week anyway. no beer.

the 13 kg fell off me at about 2kg a week.

Lucia Maria said...

Kids should not do Atkins! Children need the carbs for energy, and with Atkins there's always a risk of ketosis. Just leave the child be.