Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Useless information

I have a confession. I am a compulsive number cruncher. I can't stop myself. Put a bunch of data under my nose and the urge to analyse overcomes me.

Today the DomPost ran its usual drink-driving conviction stats but all at once. Lots of data! Fair sample size.

Here's some absolutely useless information for you. Three-quarters were male. The most common occupation was "unemployed" at 13.5%. Sharing second billing were Builders and Students at 11.5 percent each. Teenagers made up 29 percent and 20-25 year-olds 23 percent. So over half of all convictions were for people aged 25 and under.

Most of the occupations are manual and a couple of more interesting ones were Lifeguard and Soldier. There were no Mayoral Candidates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Off topic, sorry, but on a subject that you frequently post - Do you know the percentage of woman who got pregnant on the unemployment benefit and then went onto the DPB?
My feeling is that some woman are choosing to get pregnant as a means of financial security, the statistics may confirm this.

Gloria

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Gloria I'll try and blog something on this subject later - as time permits.