Wednesday, August 09, 2006

"Warrior gene"

Researchers are claiming Maori men have an over-representation of the gene that expresses monoamine oxidase. This predisposes to aggression, risk-taking and violence.

Fascinating. Not just the claim but the responses to it. Tariana isn't happy because she hates anything she perceives as negative criticism of Maori. Blinkered. Alan Duff suggests how the claim may be repudiated. Sensible. And John Tamihere says he will keep an open mind. Intelligent.

Read the link to Wikipedia before you dismiss this research.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can believe that pure Maori may have this gene, but as most Maori are less than 50% Maori I am a tad sceptical.

Richard said...

Mark.V. said...

"most Maori are less than 50% Maori"

Explain to me how you can be both Maori and less than 50% Maori. Surely, being Maori (or a member of any given race) isn't a matter of degree. Either you're Maori or you're not. For example, I, myself, am 100% pure Anglo-Saxon.

Anonymous said...

Richard I meant most people who claim to be Maori have a majority non-Maori genetic heritage.