Thursday, July 13, 2006

"Fathers out of the picture"

The Times says, "Fathers out of the picture." As if that's a new development. Many fathers have been either willingly or unwillingly out of the picture for a long time.

But this headline pertains to reform of an act governing requirements for IVF. Single mothers and lesbians will no longer be discriminated against. Clinics won't have to consider a father as necessary to a child's welfare.

Indulging some sentimentality for a moment - I don't like to think what my life would have been like without my dear Dad. But I've been lucky. A few kids are better off not knowing their Dads or even their Mums.

Children born through IVF treatment are sure to be wanted and cherished.

But, just as an after-thought, I wonder if the applicant for treatment has to prove financial capability for raising the child? Harder for a would-be single mother. I guess if the clinic can't discriminate against a lesbian or single mother they can't discriminate against a would-be beneficiary.

(Govt funded IVF treatment for single women and lesbians was introduced here in 2000. Muriel Newman described it as "start-up" finance for getting on the DPB.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The stats are so overwhelming only idiots cant see that families of bio mother father and children have better outcomes than any other model Sure they are exceptions with other models but they are just that Not the norm.You gotta wonder at the mentality that would go out of its way to deny children their natural father. How sicko are these creatures. I put them on the same level as terrorists and we should treat them with the same level of contempt and loathing.
gd

Anonymous said...

Anonymous has said it

You said it too Lindsay.

Fathers are important to the welfare and future development of the children.

To be sure there are ratbag fathers but they are few and far between.

Most of us imperfect but we do our best and I for one center my life around my childrens best interests and needs. I don't always get it right but I'm there supporting my kids in there school and extra curricular activites both sport and cultural. Encouraging them when things don't go right and cheering them when they do. Thats the most important thing I do with my time.

Both girls and boys need good role models, male and female.

There is overwhelming evidence that the old fashioned nuclear family does far better job in raising successful self reliant children who contribute to society than any other model.

But again I am old fashioned - we need to move with the times I'm told.