Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Matt Robson's crystal ball

According to ex Progressive MP, Matt Robson, National is headed for its 4th consecutive election defeat in October 2008. It hasn't managed to be that incompetent since 1946. National isn't up to leading New Zealand.

Not only does he know that National are going to lose - he knows which month the election is going to be held in.

I didn't know this, from Wikipedia, Despite having achieved high political office in New Zealand, Robson did not become a naturalised citizen until 2000. Under the terms of New Zealand's Electoral Act, anyone permanently resident before August 1975 has the right to vote and stand for election.

I thought that a candidate had to be a NZ Citizen to stand for Parliament. Did the Electoral Act change or am I wrong?

5 comments:

Aaron Bhatnagar said...

Did he predict his own election defeat last year?

Anonymous said...

Nobody can take seriously someone like Robson, who is a public supporter of Fidel Castro's regime.

Lets export him to his mate's island..........Manolo

Graeme Edgeler said...

You're wrong.

The law as it now stands is that you have to be an NZ citizen, this became the law (I think) in 1975. Prior to this you could be a permanent resident who was also a British Subject and still stand. The change to the electoral act around citizenship included a grandfather clause, such that anyone who was eligible to stand for Parliament under the old rule (i.e. they had to be a Permanent Resident and British Subject in 1975) would still be eligible.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Thanks Graeme. I don't believe this is widely known. I was told I couldn't stand in 2002 because I wasn't an NZ Citizen. I checked it on the Electoral Commission website and accepted that advice. As it turns out I could have qualified under the "grandfather clause" having been born in the UK but a permanent resident here since 1968.
Gee and to think I spent $460 getting a piece of paper I didn't need.....At the ceremony they give you this little posy with two wee sprigs of something in it. I said, "That's an expensive bunch of flowers." ;-)

Anonymous said...

1968!

At that rate I won't qualify for an expensive bunch of flowers for abother 15 odd years!

Other than document renewal hassles, I still haven't found a genuine reason to obtain dual citizenship. (And how committed is that? I swear allegiance to TWO Queens?)