Saturday, April 22, 2006

Explosion in premature births

This report from the Scotsman surprised me because it blames mother's lifestyles for premature births. My first child was three weeks early. I was still working in a very active job but getting pretty tired. So I thought perhaps I was going to read about how the growth of working women was contributing to this phenomenon. But no.

Researchers say it is difficult to explain the rise but obesity, smoking and social class might be part of the problem. Very young and older mothers are also more likely to have a premature birth.The factors cited are obesity, smoking and social class.

3 comments:

Lucia Maria said...

I seen stuff that pointed to abortions as the reason for premature births, but not 3wks early - generally earlier that that. I personally wouldn't consider 3wks to be premature, just in the normal range.

Lucia Maria said...

Here we go, some proof:

French Study

The study was based on medical notes and interviews with 2837 women who had a premature baby during 1997, about one-third of the total pre-term births in France that year.

Those who gave birth between 28 and 32 weeks were 40 per cent more likely to have had an abortion in the past, compared with mothers who gave birth within two weeks of the expected date. But those whose babies arrived between 22 and 27 weeks of pregnancy were 70 per cent more likely to have had a previous termination.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Thanks Lucyna. I've never had an abortion but I know that counselling involves cautioning that repeat abortions can make it more difficult to carry a child full term. (People routinely using abortion as a form of contraception probably aren't particularly worried about that.)