Saturday, March 11, 2006

Anti-Americanism - take that

An old American gentleman on his way to a walking holiday in the French Alps, arrived in Paris by plane.
At French customs he fumbled for his passport.
"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically.
The old gent admitted that he had been to France before.
"Then, you should know enough to have your passport ready for inspection," snapped the irate official.
The American said, "The last time I came to France I did not have to show my passport."
"Impossible old man!" the official replied. "You Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France!"
The old American gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he calmly stated: "I assure you, young man, that when I came ashore at Omaha Beach in Normandy on D-Day in 1944, there were no Frenchmen anywhere on that beach."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one! pass that on... ;-0

Anonymous said...

Reminds me in 1966 when de Gaulle called for the US to withdraw its troops from Europe, the Sec of State Dean Rusk famously responded with the withering question [which I think has since been repeated by Colin Powell] " Does that include the dead Americans in military cemeteries too?"